Your home’s plumbing and piping system needs to be inspected and maintained frequently. Many homeowners in Brooklyn fail to conduct any proper maintenance on their drains, sinks, toilets and plumbing, until piping eventually becomes clogged. Identifying a potential clogging problem before it becomes exacerbated will not only ensure your own comfort, convenience and safety, but will also help you save significantly on repair costs. Despite this, sometimes it is difficult to spot a clogging drain until it is late in the day. Let us take a look at five simple ways that one can go about solving a drain problem.
What are your options?
1. One of the most effective ways to a clogged drain is to introduce small amounts of baking soda and vinegar solution. Add approximately a third of a cup of baking soda to the same amount of vinegar, before pouring it down a clogged drain. The solution helps loosen grease and dirt within the drain, that may be made up of hair and other waste material.
2. Another effective way to unclog a drain is to use caustic soda. Caustic soda acts in the same way as the baking soda and vinegar solution, but has the possibility of causing chemical burns. Always use gloves and goggles when handling this chemical.
3. Another option available to you is that of the drain snake. This is a long, sturdy metallic rope that ends with a spiral. The drain snake can be inserted into a pipe to remove waste material that may be causing a clog.
4. If you are in a real emergency, you can simply use dish detergent as well. Add a quarter cup of dish detergent to some boiling water, before pouring it down a clogged drain. Use this solution, along with a plunger to take care of your drain problems.
5. Another handy solution to a clogged drain can be found in a mixture of salt and baking soda. Add half a cup of salt to a half cup of baking soda, before pouring it down a drain. Wait for a period of 10 to 20 minutes, before pouring boiling water down the drain.