Filed under: Brooklyn Drain Clearing, Brooklyn Drain Repairs
Your home’s plumbing and piping system needs to be inspected and maintained frequently. Many homeowners in Brooklyn fail to conduct any proper maintenance on their drains, sinks, toilets and plumbing, until piping eventually becomes clogged. Identifying a potential clogging problem before it becomes exacerbated will not only ensure your own comfort, convenience and safety, but will also help you save significantly on repair costs. Despite this, sometimes it is difficult to spot a clogging drain until it is late in the day. Let us take a look at five simple ways that one can go about solving a drain problem.
What are your options?
1. One of the most effective ways to a clogged drain is to introduce small amounts of baking soda and vinegar solution. Add approximately a third of a cup of baking soda to the same amount of vinegar, before pouring it down a clogged drain. The solution helps loosen grease and dirt within the drain, that may be made up of hair and other waste material.
2. Another effective way to unclog a drain is to use caustic soda. Caustic soda acts in the same way as the baking soda and vinegar solution, but has the possibility of causing chemical burns. Always use gloves and goggles when handling this chemical.
3. Another option available to you is that of the drain snake. This is a long, sturdy metallic rope that ends with a spiral. The drain snake can be inserted into a pipe to remove waste material that may be causing a clog.
4. If you are in a real emergency, you can simply use dish detergent as well. Add a quarter cup of dish detergent to some boiling water, before pouring it down a clogged drain. Use this solution, along with a plunger to take care of your drain problems.
5. Another handy solution to a clogged drain can be found in a mixture of salt and baking soda. Add half a cup of salt to a half cup of baking soda, before pouring it down a drain. Wait for a period of 10 to 20 minutes, before pouring boiling water down the drain.
Filed under: Uncategorized
Carbon monoxide is nicknamed the silent killer as it is a colorless, odorless and invisible gas. It is a greenhouse gas that is formed when fuels like wood, methane, propane, gasoline, oil, coal and natural gas are not burned completely.
How to keep away carbon monoxide
You can take the following steps to protect yourself or your near and dear ones from the gas:
- Carbon monoxide specific alarms can be installed in a strategic location near the sleeping areas and also at other important locations. In an ideal situation, the carbon monoxide alarms should be fixed at different parts of your home.
- Follow the manufacturer instructions when it comes to smoke detector install and the mounting height.
- Select a smoke detector which carries the label of a standardized testing laboratory in Brooklyn or any other recognized authority.
- After the smoke detector install, test the equipment at least once every month. If it is found defective, replace the unit with a new one.
- If the alarm is not audible, replace the old batteries with fresh ones
- In case of a carbon monoxide alarm, move quickly to a new location where there is fresh air. Stay there until the emergency personnel arrives.
Symptoms related to carbon monoxide poisoning
Since carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless, the person exposed to it will not know. The primary symptoms include headache, nausea and fatigue.
Filed under: Brooklyn Plumber
A dishwasher install is an excellent way to reduce your work in the kitchen. However, getting a wrong dishwasher can easily lead to additional utility and energy bills as these dishwashers may consume more water and electricity to get your dishes clean. Here are some tips about how you can save when using a dishwasher install for your Brooklyn home.
Non energy star dishwashers
A non energy star dishwasher uses about 6 gallons of water to clean your dishes in one cycle. When compared to doing the same job by hand, a dishwasher helps you save water. However, there are some older models that consume as much as 10 gallons of water and this could be an issue for you. As a result, it is always a good idea to get this dishwasher install replaced with a new one for your Brooklyn home.
Energy star dishwashers
Energy star dishwashers provide you with greater savings in terms of water and electricity usage. This dishwasher install is designed to consume as low as 4 gallons of water while consuming as little power as possible. So you not only save water but electricity as well. Your utility and electricity bills reduce significantly if you are using a dishwasher for your home. However, it is always recommended to follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully for best results when using an energy star dishwasher in your Brooklyn home.
Filed under: Water Filtraton
As a homeowner or resident of Brooklyn, the importance of protecting your family from harmful bacteria and other contaminants will not be lost on you. Installing a water filtration system in your home is one of the most effective ways to protect your family’s health. However, choosing the appropriate water filtration system for your home can be a challenge, and will depend on a variety of factors. One of the best ways to go about making this decision is by hiring water treatment professionals, like the ones at Vigilante.
What you need to keep in mind
The first factor that you will need to consider is the kind of contaminants present in water in your home. Different water filtration systems are better at eliminating different kinds of contaminants. As such, it is extremely important to conduct a water quality report before going ahead with your choice of water filter.
There are primarily two kinds of water filtration systems available. The first of these is known as the Point of Entry System. These water filtration systems are meant to treat all the water entering a home, regardless of what it will be used for. These are typically installed within water storage tanks in a home.
The second kind of system commonly installed is that of a Point of Use system. These systems are installed in order to treat water that is going to be used for specific purposes, such as consumption or showering. These systems can be installed anywhere in the home, but are typically found near faucets or shower heads.
Filed under: Brooklyn sewer inspections
Bathroom drains and pipes in Brooklyn homes are regularly used and subjected to not only water, but dirt, grime, hair and soap and detergent lather as well. In the absence of regular sewer and drain inspection overtime, these can become clogged causing damage to bathroom plumbing.
Benefits of plumbing inspection
- A plumbing inspection by a reputed company like Vigilante in Brooklyn can help detect any issues with your bathroom drains or pipes. An early warning can stop a lot of damage to your bathroom. This will also help you save money resulting from repairs of the extensive damage that might occur if minor plumbing issues are left unchecked over an extended period of time.
- A sewer and drain inspection can reveal any small issue within your bathroom plumbing that might escalate in the future.
- Sewer and drain inspections done in regular intervals can detect any cracks in your bathroom tiles, which if left unchecked can further crack the tiles. This will result in you replacing the tiles, which is a time consuming process.
- Plumbing inspections can reveal any mold growth in bathroom drains and pipes, which can be halted before mold growth takes over the bathroom. Mold can also grow on damp bathroom walls. Dampness in bathroom walls can be from any cracks in the tiles or walls or from leaks from geysers or pipes.
- Clogging of pipes from hair and grease can be prevented through plumbing inspections. If left unchecked, hair inside the drains can cause severe damage to the entire drainage system of your house through interconnected plumbing.
Filed under: Brooklyn Plumber
Bathroom is one of the most important rooms in your home as apart from family members, your friends and guests are likely to use it. That is why, maintaining your bathroom and keeping it clean is important. If you want to create a clean, hygienic and classy ambiance in your Brooklyn home, start with bathroom remodeling.
Bathroom remodeling for your home
When considering bathroom remodeling, one of the most important factors you should think about is water conservation and making it more efficient. While great designing and tiling will always be a major part of your bathroom’s appeal, it is important to bring down your energy costs and wastage. This includes a thorough inspection of your faucets, toilets, and shower heads, drain pipes and so on. With a few simple changes like switching to high pressure flush tanks and shower heads, you can decrease the amount of water you use.
Concentrate on flooring
Another common factor that is commonly overlooking during bathroom remodeling is the flooring. With natural and matte flooring, you can give your bathroom a cleaner and safer floor. It is important to invest in anti-slip flooring that can prevent accidents and injuries. Making your home more eco-friendly should also extend to water conservation and one effective way to do that is to switch to low flow toilets. Using less water, these toilet designs effectively flush out after each use. It is estimated that switching to low flow toilet designs can help you decrease your water consumption by half!
Filed under: Brooklyn sewer inspections, Brooklyn sewer line inspections
Sewer line inspection is important
In any home, sewer lines are of the utmost importance as they carry away the waste generated in the household in a safe and clean manner. Cooking, bathing , cleaning and other such everyday activities generate a lot of waste and they cannot be completed if there are no sewer lines in the house. This is why if you live in Brooklyn and want to avoid problems in your sewer system or sewer line, you need to get sewer line inspection services performed regularly. With proper sewer line inspection, you can avoid major sewer line disasters and avoid expensive repair and clean up bills.
Why you should get regular sewer line inspection services
Probably the most important benefit of sewer line inspection is that you can spot signs of trouble in your sewer lines early on. Clogs can occur in the main sewer line or in any one of the secondary sewer lines. With proper and regular inspections, you can catch clogs just when they are forming so that they can be cleaned up and complete clogs removed. These days, video inspection is used for proper sewer line inspection. This also allows you to check pipes and other components for cracks and other defects. In places like Brooklyn where it can get really cold, checking for cracks can prevent pipe bursts. You can also see if roots are forming in the sewer lines.
Get sewer lines inspected as soon as possible
Sewer line inspection must be done periodically. If you haven’t had your sewer lines inspected in a long time, then call a plumber today.
Filed under: Brooklyn air conditioner maintenance
Energy bills can get expensive in Brooklyn neighborhoods due to the extreme climatic conditions and its proximity to the Atlantic Ocean.
Saving energy costs in summers
With a few simple tips, you can cool your homes using less energy and thereby reduce your costs. HVAC maintenance includes changing the filters and getting the systems serviced regularly to get more efficiency. You can also save costs by using blinds and drapes during the daytime which will help reduce temperatures indoors. Zone your house’s cooling system to cool specific areas of your home that are most frequently used. To further reduce your HVAC energy costs in summer, consider a renewable energy like solar energy to power your HVAC systems.
Saving energy cost in winters
Inadequate insulation, particularly in older Brooklyn homes can lead to a high cost, both in winters as well as summers. Try not to use blinds in winters, let the natural sunlight help increase the temperatures indoors. A programmable thermostat will save energy when you are not home. It is a good idea to service your heating system before the onset of winter. If you have an annual HVAC maintenance contract make sure it covers preventive maintenance not just for summers but for winters as well.
Use energy efficient HVAC systems
Most of us often underrate the value of using energy efficient HVAC system. This often leads to expensive HVAC maintenance costs as well as high energy bills. New models maybe expensive but come with durable components which offer high efficiency and thus high savings in the long run.
Filed under: Brooklyn Plumber, Brooklyn Plumbing Repairs, Mahattan Plumbers, Piping, Plumbing
What is backflow?
Backflow of foul water into your potable water supply or that of the state can lead to contamination that can be a serious health hazard. Backflow simply means that water flows in the reverse direction in the water supply system to your home. So, if water from your home flows into the pipeline of the public water supply, then a backflow has occurred.
How does it occur?
Backflow occurs if the pressure drops in the main water supply or if the water pressure at your home rises above that of the main water supply. This leads to foul water entering the main water supply and can potentially create a health hazard.
For example, you leave the garden hose on and unattended, while you are busy on your phone. A sort of vacuum is created within the hose, due to change in pressure, and pesticides from the garden enters the water supply
The plumbing system installed in your house needs to be checked to ensure that backflow doesn’t happen. Backflow prevention devices can be used to ensure that in case there is a backflow the foul water doesn’t enter the main water supply.
Professional plumbing services will be aware of the mandatory backflow prevention measures set by the state and can transform the plumbing system at your home to meet the requirements. They will check all connections to the main water supply and either advice installation of backflow prevention devices or take other adequate measures to ensure backflow doesn’t take place.
Filed under: Brooklyn furnace, Brooklyn Plumber
Did your HVAC professional suggest a furnace replacement for your Brooklyn home and you are weighing your options about a standard and a two stage furnace, then you are at the right place. Energy bills are of prime importance when it comes to furnace replacements and you should choose an alternative furnace in a manner that the new furnace helps you save in every possible way while keeping you and your family warm. Here are some of the top considerations you need to pay heed to before making a decision about the furnace.
A vast majority of the standard furnaces provide an efficiency of about 80 percent AFUE. This is quite low compared to what is offered by any standard two stage furnace which is often in the range of about 98.5 percent AFUE. The main reason why this happens is because of the type of burners used by the standard furnaces. When a standard furnace operates, it opens all the valves at a high and this can often lead to a loss of fuel. Making this a poor and an inefficient choice for furnace replacement.
Two stage heating furnaces
A two stage heating furnace as the name suggests uses two burners that operate at a high flame and a low flame giving a more uniform fuel consumption. The high burner turns on whenever there is a need to heat the rooms quickly and the low burner operates whenever there is a need to regulate the heat in a room. This way the heat is uniform and the fuel consumption is reduced significantly making a two-stage furnace ideal for low energy bills with a furnace replacement.